Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Back By Popular Demand

So, it's been about a week since my last post and I've really taken a lot of heat for that. Apparently, ya'll want me to write in this thing a little more often. To make up for that I will give you a good breakdown of what I've done since the last time we talked. With being one of the few people to have their first two days of being here off, I took advantage and got a good jump on my homework. I've kept up with the pace of reading a chapter a week, and was really able to see how the content in my book was applying to my job when I started the following day. My first 3 days of work, consisted of "on the job training" with my trainer, Pam. This is a cool lady. When I first saw her, my sinful nature came through as I passed a little bit of judgement on her, but God couldn't have blessed me with anyone better. She was very upbeat and excited to train me, because she was excited with the fact that I requested to be at the art gallery. She is very passionate about art herself and really knows her trivia about many topics, mainly movies, comics, cartoons, and the three stooges (dad, you could really have some could conversation with this woman). The following 3 days I was on my own. It started a little scary and I quickly grew into the role that I must perform. Talking with people has never been a problem for me, and that is definitely the part of my job that comes easy, it's knowing all the facts about each style of art, the history of the artists, the prices and the inventory. I've gotten it a little bit more each day, and have already sold 3 pieces all on my own, it's pretty exciting. Reading about communication and leadership in my book for the first two chapters helped me keep a watch out to see if my "leaders" at disney did them the right way. For the most part they do, they listen to me and encourage me to ask questions when I have them, which I have a lot about everything, and they answer them for me. One thing that is pretty exciting and scary all at the same time, is that given my banking experience and drive to learn while I'm here, one of the managers has given me some extra responsibility. I now have the duty, when I have the closing shift, to cash out all the registers and make desposits and get the drawers ready for the next day. They want me to learn the process really quickly, and it has been pretty hard, but I'm getting it and will be closing out the stores all on my own very soon. Bring on the corporate job......! I'm going to write another, separate entry that will give you some more of my personal info, non-work related. Scroll up to read on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are being nutured by a 3 Stooges Fan. I hope I get to meet her. Had a feeling your banking experience would come in handy.Tell all those Orlando Magic fans that the Pistons got even tonight, for what happenned on Monday. Amir Johnson is getting some minutes. Meeting people from all over the country reminds me again of my Europe trip, which we talked about before you left. Make sure you exchange cards with everyone, so whenever you travel around in the future you'll have peole to visit. Have fun bud....