Monday, February 11, 2008

"All I Ever Wanted"

So from now on, since my titles are usually kind of lame, they are all going to be named after a song. I kind of like that idea, and for those of you who know a lot about music (Katie Stolman or Michael Gariepy are two names that come to mind) you can have the extra added bonus of trying to figure out the artist or group and then finding that song to listen to. So these past couple weeks since we've last talked have been interesting to say the least. They've been physically and emotionally draining for me. I've been working no less than 35 hours a week, which doesn't seem that bad to some of you, but when i wake up at 6:30 to catch a 7:15 bus, the time is that much longer for me. As you all know I haven't been up for McDonald's breakfast in like 10 years, so since we have one in Downtown Disney, i've had it like 8 times. That's telling you how often I've been getting up early, just so SOME of you don't think i'm just on a vacation down here. Work has been going extremely well. I'm learning a lot about my product and doing a good job in selling it, even though we don't work on commission. Still i enjoy selling a lot and getting props for that. I'm meeting interesting people from all over the world as our guests, and recently met a couple from London, who are Disney Vacation Club members, at the Old Key West resort from 1991-92 not to mention, and they were pretty much the coolest couple i've met since i've been here. They had such a love for Disney and just enjoyed sharing their experiences and their disney knowledge with me, which i also enjoyed. Just the other day I actually met a couple from New York, and they were close to our age. The gentleman was on his first visit to Disney World, and was more excited than any kid I've ever seen. It brought such satisfaction to me. Me and another friend of mine talked to them thoroughly and actually exchanged e-mails. It's fun making new friends.

In my communications book, the biggest thing i've been reading about is this thing called the "four-minute barrier." it talks about how we often meet someone and within that first four minutes of talking to them we make our judgements about them, and tag them to be a certain way. Now that's not just in the workplace but in life everyday, which is something we all must strive to fight off in our daily meetings. We know we shouldn't judge people but our nature is to do so, so i've been trying not to let that take any effect in my life at work. I do have someone who i struggle with that each and every time i talk to him. He gets under my skin, as he does with everyone else, but he is good at what he does. I just work hard to work with him. On a good note, we have been getting some new managers, whether temporary or permanent, and other people high up coming into the store, and when i introduce myself to them, they say they've already heard of me. I can't tell you how cool of a feeling that is. I've been making some connections and trying to get things done for myself.

I had three sets of my first visitors in these past two weeks. First, were my two mothers. My real mother who birthed me, Mrs. Jill Stolman and Mrs. Patti Frederick, who is my honorary second mother. The ladies treated me to a week of great food, fun, and a lot of laughs. Then out of nowhere my God-parents and family friends of a long time Chuck and Lynne Blake surprised me on a day of work. It was really nice seeing them and getting to talk with someone from back home. The next day I got to spend the day with the Gambee family who are great family friends, and take them to Hollywood Studios. It was really fun hanging with them as we got to ride a few rides, have some lunch, and most importantly just talk with them and get some advice on some questions that I had.

Lastly, in the non-disney part of life. I've been faced with some tough decisions and obstacles that have been a big part of my time. With being down here, it's kind of changing some of my perceptions and outlooks on things. I just recently made the decision to try and extend my stay down here, and i think I will be remaining down here until the end of August. I realize i'll be losing out on money by not returning to the bank, however when listening to my heart and to my family, we kind of think that this might be the best option for me at this point in my life, if i'm really serious about ending up down here a couple years from now, which i am. This is a really telling time in my life, and will continue to be while i'm down here. Until we talk again, i wanna let ya'll know that I love you and miss you all and can't wait to see my family and friends in less than two weeks here. Live, Laugh, and Love!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! WE were your first "visitors" and you didn't even mention us!!! yikes!

enjoy the sunshine - it's zero degrees and icy here up-north!

patti and mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates, Bri! I'm still working on the song title...but I'll let you know unless Michael beats me. :)

Can't wait to see you in T-18 days!!!

Love you,
Kate

Anonymous said...

I'm still very impressed in how early you wake up now......this doesn't seem like the same guy who didn't want to be woken up before noon...haha

Anonymous said...

thanx for the revision/update

mom

Unknown said...

Hi Brian. Sounds like everything's going good for you down there! Sounds like you're having fun with Mickey and friends. Have fun, good to read your blogs!
~ Love, Cousin Andrea
PS -- Enjoy the weather, lucky. :)

Anonymous said...

You're an anonymous poster...you poster!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bud,
We're in major countdown before we get to see you a week from today. This has been a colder winter with more snow as compared with recent years. As usual I will get my shorts on about 7 minutes after getting off the plane. Looking forward to catching a glimpse of the 2008 World Champion Tigers with you - should be great fun. Keep working hard, learning, asking questions, meeting people, passing out your cards, and, most of all, having fun.

Love,
Dad